Data and Interactives Editor
The Dallas Morning News is looking for an experienced journalist to lead its Data and Interactives department, charged with producing in-depth reporting, insightful data tools and stunning visualizations.
We are looking for a manager/leader who will inspire a team of the most collaborative journalists in the newsroom to help report and publish ambitious stories, tools and projects through data reporting, analysis and visual journalism.
ABOUT THE TEAM:
The News’ data and interactive design team is composed of computational journalists, an interactive designer and graphics artists, but at their core, they are all journalists. They have a wide range of skills, including data analysis, visualization, front- and back-end development and visual design. They work on a diverse set of topics and story types, including elections and state government, investigative, enterprise and breaking news reporting and visual storytelling.
· While you may have a skill set that goes beyond traditional reporting — be that working with data, code or both — you still consider yourself a journalist and have at least five years of experience working with data and/or digital design within a newsroom setting.
· You have management experience and are a mentor at heart, caring personally about your team members. You have exceptionally high standards and thrive when you’re coaching people to meet them.
· You’re collaborative and collegial, adept at working with writers, editors and photographers to execute large projects. You also want to have a voice in story direction, especially in areas that pertain to data reporting and/or visual execution.
· You have a reader-first perspective and can help balance the need for daily maps, charts, and graphics against that of more-intensive project work.
· You have experience writing front-end code to support and present your work to readers across a range of screen sizes and devices, whether that be digestible data visualizations or more full-fledged story presentations.
· You are an evangelist for innovation, keeping an eye on digital trends, with an eye on whether and how to adapt them to our work.
· You have a passion for local news and finding ways to increase the impact of our journalism.
We do not expect every candidate to be equally skilled in all the job requirements listed in this posting. We want to hear from candidates who are passionate about this work and will bring their vision to the role.
· Experience in the fundamentals of data analysis, reporting, scraping and visualization.
· Experience with a scripting language; most of our systems are built on Python and Django and deployed on Heroku.
· Experience producing web applications using a modern development framework, such as React or Vue.
· Familiarity with data visualization libraries such as D3.js and MapboxGL.js.
· Familiarity with Amazon Web Services, specifically but not limited to Simple Storage Service and Lambda.
Education: Bachelor’s degree
The Dallas Morning News recognizes that different perspectives and backgrounds drive the innovation and ideas that are essential to our business success. To that end, we are committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff. Diversity, equity and inclusion will be embedded in the hiring, promotion and development of our employees, in reaching diverse audiences with our content, and in choosing the companies with which we do business.