Why this job: Help shape the future of students in Washington Heights and Inwood by joining the Finance team of The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, which has been featured in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and on 60 Minutes for its radical investment in teachers and its outstanding results.
Given The Equity Project’s revolutionary model, this is an amazing opportunity for an individual who can effectively and enthusiastically manage the school’s numerous business processes in support of our students, families, staff, and the entire school community.
Watch the video here to learn more about TEP’s new Middle School facility, designed with community and equity at the forefront.
Position overview: The Finance Associate is a dynamic role that supports the school’s various business processes. The Finance Associate will create financial policies, maintain the school’s financial records, manage the purchasing process, support with the annual audit, manage human resource functions, and be an integral part of the school administrative team.
Financial record keeping
- Daily bookkeeping
- Invoicing, bill payment, financial record keeping
- Reconciling credit card statements
- Asset Management including accounting for all purchased equipment
- Entering payroll in bookkeeping software
- Manage the purchasing process for the whole school, including setting up budgets on an annual basis
- Ensure all related paperwork is meticulously maintained
- Manage vendor relationships
Auditing and financial reports
- Manage the the annual interim audit
- Assist in preparing quarterly and monthly financial reports for TEP’s Senior Leadership Team and Board of Trustees
Financial Processes & Projects
- Implement and train staff on financial processes and procedures
- Identify and implement new platforms as per the needs of the school
- Responsible for aspects of staff onboarding and off-boarding
- Support staff with HR related inquiries with a solutions-oriented approach
- Manage all required compliances and teacher certifications
- Manage health, 403b and other benefits
Cross-Functional Role as Admin Team Member
- Coordinate and help staff school-wide events
- Participate in student recruitment process
- Provide support with office phones and visitors as needed
- Minimum of 2+ years of demonstrated experience in a relevant role
- Strong project planning/management skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to juggle several projects at once with a spirit of flexibility and positive outlook
- Strong data management skills and fluency with data and numbers
- Experience with accounting and QuickBooks
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in Excel
- Background in HR, preferred
- Proficiency in Spanish, preferred
- Enjoys the challenge of, and works well in, a dynamic, fast-paced environment
Accountability: The Finance Associate reports directly to TEP’s Chief Financial Officer
Compensation: The Finance Associate earns a competitive salary in the range of $70K to $80K based on the individual’s experience level, with benefits including medical, dental, vision insurance, 403b retirement plan, STD, LTD and Life Insurance. The Finance Associate has approximately 6 weeks of vacation (which includes school vacation days).