The John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art is located in Sarasota, Florida. Want to learn more about The Ringling?
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Ringling is an Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. As such, we are always seeking individuals dedicated to innovation and excellence. A successful candidate will work effectively, respectfully, and collaboratively in a diverse, multicultural, and inclusive setting. We especially encourage applications by individuals from underrepresented groups, with a demonstrated commitment to a culturally and intellectually diverse workplace.
Should you require accommodations for the application or interview processes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 941-359-5700 (ext. 1-2605).
Learn more about our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
- FSU’s Equal Opportunity Statement hr.fsu.edu/sections/equity-diversity-inclusion/equal-employment-opportunity-eeo
- FSU Diversity & Inclusion Statement
- FSU Strategic Plan
- Ringling Strategic Plan
- Ringling Equity Statement
The Senior Registrar is responsible for care and management of The Ringling’s Collections.
Responsibilities will include:
- Provides oversight and leads the day-to-day operations of the Registration and Exhibition Design/Preparation departments, including the supervision and management of staff. Develops, interprets, and implements associated policies and procedures. Ensures adherence to AAM best practices and FSU policies and procedures.
- Develops and monitors budgets (Collections and Exhibition Design & Prep). Serves on Disaster Planning and Response Team. Responsible for updating and maintaining emergency plans for the Registration and Exhibition Design/Preparation departments. Serves as liaison to the Collections Committee of the Ringling Board; prepares materials required by the committee. Collaborates closely with and provides support to the Conservation department to ensure the care of collections items.
- Collaborates with and supports the Curatorial department. Oversees coordination logistics for national and international traveling exhibitions and loans. Responsible for collections storage and gallery maintenance. Monitors climate control; environment; and maintains objects files.
- Oversees collections. Monitors registration system and collections’ data integrity. Oversees Rights and Reproductions requests.
- Oversees scheduling of installation/deinstallation of temporary exhibitions and permanent collections across all venues. Assists in planning and exhibition installation. Monitors gallery maintenance schedule.
- Contributes to education mission by supporting and/or supervising Internships and Fellowships; tours; lectures; training. Responds to scholars’ requests for information related to collections or exhibits. Serves as a member of Ringling Senior Staff.
- Regularly uses motorized vehicles in daily work. May be required to travel (nationally or internationally) to serve as a Museum courier. Assignments are based on the needs of the Museum. Courier training and certification is required prior to the incumbent serving in this capacity.
While this position is classified in the job code of Assistant Director, Cultural Arts to align with Florida State University’s internal structuring and titling schemas, please note this role will serve specifically as the Senior Registrar for The John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art. The Senior Registrar reports to the Associate Director of Academic Affairs and Collections.
- Bachelor’s degree and four years of experience related to collections management or a high school diploma/equivalency and eight years of experience related to collections management. Note: Higher education can substitute for experience at the equivalent rate.
- Knowledge of the concepts, principles and best practices of collections management to include proper object handling, installation, preservation and/or maintenance.
- Knowledge of and the ability to apply the processes, procedures and methods used in museum operations in compliance with applicable governing entities such as the American Alliance of Museums.
- Experience supervising and training employees.
- Experience with budget and project management.
- Experience with collections management software and other applicable computer applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Valid Florida driver’s license or ability to obtain prior to hire.
- Master’s degree and four years of related experience
- Experience as a Museum Registrar
- Experience working with The Museum System (TMS)
- Familiarity with art exhibition design and gallery preparation
- Advanced art handling experience to include object storage and environmental management
- Knowledge of contracts and insurance related to traveling exhibitions and loans
- Interest in art, culture, and historic preservation
For more information, or for technical assistance, please contact Ringling Human Resources at 941-359-5700 ext. 2605 or email@example.com.
One of the nation’s elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there’s the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news!
Learn more about our university and campuses.
Anticipated Salary Range
The anticipated rate of pay will be mid-$50,000s to mid-$60,000s based on the education, skills, and experience of the selected candidate. Find out more about our benefits under the “FSU Total Rewards” section.
This is an A&P (Administrative and Professional) position.
FSU Total Rewards
FSU offers a robust Total Rewards package. Visit our website to learn more about our Compensation, Benefits, Wellness, Recognition, and Employee Development programs.
Use our interactive tool to calculate Total Compensation options based on potential salary, benefits and retirement contributions, earned leave, and other employment-related perks.
The primary working hours for this position are Monday through Friday between 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, with a one hour meal period. The incumbent may be required to work evenings, weekends, or holidays based on the needs of the Ringling.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check, to include fingerprinting. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.