When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. You’ll have the opportunity to grow and learn in a culture that empowers your development. We have created an inclusive, global environment that values the power of diverse talent, backgrounds, and experiences to drive speed, productivity, innovation, and growth.
Our internship program will give you a chance to get real world business experience and build your network before graduation. We are seeking an energetic, responsible intern to join our growing organization. In this position, you will be expected to learn the ins-and-outs of our daily routines and procedures. You will focus on learning how our organization runs, and can be expected to gain valuable insight that can further your interest in your chosen career field.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our 70,000 employees the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world. The customers we serve fall within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications.
Summary of Internship
The Bioinformatics Internship position provides an opportunity for students who are currently pursuing a computer science, bioinformatics, computational biology, or similar degree to get hands on experience working with bioinformatics scientists in a fast-paced research and development environment. The bioinformatics intern will contribute to the development and testing of a performance evaluation method that will improve our process for custom genotyping analysis. The position starts in June, paid working 40 hours per week through August.
- Provide development and testing support for a project to improve genotyping analysis
- Involvement with all technical aspects of the project: algorithm, coding, and analysis
- Support the development of the project by validating performance
- Provide feedback on the specifications and design of the algorithm
- Learn about genotyping analysis through daily activities
- Accept candid feedback and look for areas of improvement
- Specific tasks will be tailored to the bioinformatics intern’s level of expertise
- The bioinformatics intern will work under close supervision of other scientists
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Willingness to learn, be mentored, and improve
- Desire to contribute to improving genotyping analysis
- Desire to teach team members about area of expertise
- Exceptional communication skills
- Strong aptitude for data analysis
- Familiarity with Python and/or R
- Familiarity with C++
- Familiarity with statistics and/or machine learning
- Student currently enrolled in classes leading to a Bachelors, Masters or PhD
- Computer science, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, or related field
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today!
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.