The Core Immunology Lab (CIL) is a fee-for-service core facility that supports clinical and translational research. CIL is housed within the UCSF Division of Experimental Medicine (DEM) at Zuckerberg San Francisco General and further supported by the Center for AIDS Research (CFAR). This unique position allows CIL to be part of clinical research projects, development of workflows for translation research and development of immunological techniques for immunophenotyping and immune function measures. Specifically, CIL provides specimen processing, short-term storage, 10X workflows and shipping services to research partners. CIL provides immunological assays, including ELISA’s, PCR’s and flow cytometry-based assays. Additionally, CIL oversees the DEM flow core instruments and collaborates with UCSF flow cores from other campuses to provide flow cytometry support and training to all trainees.
The Lab Manager will supervise the sample processing aspects of the Core immunology lab and assist in development and execution of major or multi- disciplinary research projects or instructional and experiment design. This person will:
- Supervise SRA’s in the lab to process specimens according to the correct study protocol, perform general maintenance, QC/QA following documented SOPs, generate new SOPs and protocols as needed. They will supervise, train and mentor entry / intermediate level research and / or instructional associates and laboratory support staff, as needed. Assisting with life cycle management including data, equipment and data and inventory management softwares.
- Manage the specimen processing lab and lab members in maintaining any study specific requirements, including but not limited to freezer temperature tracking, IQA processing and data entry.
- Manage staff, SOP and assist as needed in specimen processing and shipping.
- Ensure that data and inventory entry requirements are met for the lab and respective studies that are worked on. Share any data as needed with clinical teams.
- Perform medium to high complexity molecular biology assays as needed for studies (e.g. ELISAs, multi-parametric flow cytometry staining, 10x GEM generation, etc.).
With the support of CIL director and Parnassus flow core, manage and supervise operation and maintenance of flow cytometers and cell sorters for Core immunology lab projects and investigators requiring assistance. This person will:
- Assist in general maintenance, QC/QA following documented SOPs, generate new SOPs and protocols as needed.
- Troubleshooting and overseeing mechanical and software issues related to the flow core’s instrumentation.
- Providing technical advice to users on experimental methods related to flow cytometry.
- Assisting with new cytometry panel development projects.
- Maintaining a current knowledge of best practices for flow cytometry.
- Providing hands on training and support for the use of the flow cytometers, sorters, and related software.
The Lab Manager will report directly to the CIL director, work with finance staff, and liase with PI’s on data and inventory reporting.