NATURE OF WORK
The Communications Assistant will support the Department of Psychiatry Communications Team with everyday tasks and ongoing projects. Major work functions include graphic design, social media planning, website support, and content writing.
Graduate or undergraduate level student
The position will be under the supervision of Emily McIntyre and Aki Suzuki (Communications Specialists)
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Communications Assistant will support the communications team with ongoing projects and day-to-day tasks. An applicant with strong written and visual communications skills, an eagerness to learn, and the ability to manage multiple projects would be most appropriate for this role.
- Make updates to web pages as requested by faculty and staff in the department
- Optimize accessibility by adding alternative text to website images
- Identify and write interesting stories for our newsroom
- Help monitor the DOPsych Social media Accounts including posting retweets and sharing stories
- Assist in designing new social media graphics
- Translate content into existing social media templates
- Research topics being featured on social media posts
- Translate content into design templates (such as department announcements and event flyers)
- Design page layouts for the department’s internal newsletter
- Search stock collections for images and icons to add to our asset library
- Understand the Departmental and University brand standards and ensure all communication efforts are within the requirements for both entities
- Write and/or proofread content for various forms of communication including blog posts, social media captions, podcast summary write-ups, and announcements
Graduate or undergraduate-level student seeking a degree in communications, design, and/or marketing. Dual interest in psychiatry/psychology is preferred but not required.
Preferred Design Software Experience:
- Adobe Indesign
- Adobe Illustrator
This position is fully remote and requires access to a computer with the internet during working hours.
Additional Required Application Materials: Please choose between a writing sample and design sample OR a writing sample and a portfolio.
-Writing Sample: Please write a 350 word (maximum) summary of this news article, emphasizing the contributions from Department of Psychiatry faculty member Dr. Jay Shore
–Examples of design work include but are not limited to:
- Social Media Posts
- One-Pager documents
- Digital assets (email headers, digital ads, web banners)
SALARY RANGE FOR THIS POSITION
Salary Range: $12.00-$15.00 per hour; +/-20 hours weekly.