The Department of Emergency Medicine conducts research into areas such as pharmacogenomics, and toxicology. The Department values team members who are eager to pursue further training and growth as a researcher and professional. The successful person will have a passion for research, enjoy and excel in patient and clinician interaction, and have a desire to work in a collaborative and driven pool of co-workers.
Nature of WORK:
This is an entry-level work study research position, suitable for a student looking to augment their research experience and interested in patient centered research. This part-time position may be part of a central pool of research assistants or work specifically with a single Principal Investigator (PI).
This position will work under the direct supervision of a PI, Research Associate, or Sr PRA to help conduct various clinical research projects in the Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus. The job locations will include the Emergency Department and inpatient units at the University of Colorado Hospital and office/laboratory buildings on the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, Colorado.
The main duties and responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
· Process blood and urine samples required for research studies.
· Work with data tracking software such as Excel, REDCap, and Oncore.
· Participation in weekly lab meetings.
· Create and maintain documentation on study activities including meeting minutes, progress notes, and basic data tracking tools using commercially available software tools.
· In collaboration with a team of PRAs, carry out routine day-to-day research activities such as recruitment, scheduling, data collection either by direct interaction with study participants or by extraction from medical records.
· Perform PubMed searches and maintain research libraries.
· Support publication development and submission.
· Support procurement of materials and supplies required for study conduct.
· Support development and pilot testing of study materials, such as study flyers, data tables, and health communication messages.
· Perform data entry using commercially available or custom interfaces.
Under the direction of the PI, the work study student will be assigned various research duties and will report to the PI and Sr. PRA.
Supervision Exercised: The position will not have supervisory responsibilities.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Match patient consent and process blood samples for long term storage.
- Extract data from medical records and enter it into online centralized databases or local data tools.
- Assist in assembly of manuscripts for submission. Check or add references.
- Meet with potential study participants to explain research studies and obtain informed consent.
- Create straightforward data and tracking tools in Excel or Word.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to understand and interpret medical terminology and medical charts
- Excellent organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Ability to think creatively and work independently
- Excellent team player
- Enjoys working with human research subjects
- Self-starter with a desire to improve human health through research
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Experience in using computer-based tools (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Experience with and understanding of medical terminology
- Experience in or exposure to conducting clinical research
- Experience in an emergency department or inpatient setting
- Medical background (e.g., EMT/Paramedic, nursing, medical assistant, medical technician)