VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG
Human Resources Department
101 Schaumburg Court, Schaumburg, IL 60193
The Village of Schaumburg is a thriving community of 75,936 residents located 12 miles west of O’Hare International Airport and approximately 26 miles northwest of the City of Chicago. The community is the base of the second largest concentration of retail, office and commercial activity in the state of Illinois. Of special distinction, the village was recently named one of the “Top Ten Best Places to Live” by Money Magazine, is ranked No. 5 overall in WalletHub’s “Best Illinois Cities for Jobs” and, for the fifth year in a row, received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) for meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting.
The village employs approximately 600 employees in a variety of departments within the organization, such as police, fire, public works, engineering, finance, human resources, cultural services, community development, information technology, and transportation. Our employees work to serve the residents and strive to make Schaumburg the best community it can be.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Customer Service Center Representative with an online application deadline of 12/05/2021.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received.
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $17.24 – $19.50 per hour working up to 19 hours per week. Salary dependent on qualifications. The salary range for this position is $17.24 – $26.28. This position is represented by a union; you may refer to the AFSCME collective bargaining agreement available on our website.
WORK SCHEDULE: This position will regularly fluctuate between Days, Afternoons and Evenings, and requires the availability to work all of the varying shifts; the department operates 7 days a week / 365 days a year. Work shifts are normally 4 hours in duration but may be extended in the event of an emergency, disaster, personnel shortage, workload, or work-in-progress.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position is responsible for prompt answering of all incoming 311 calls in a courteous, timely and efficient manner. This position acts as the primary point of contact for all inbound customer requests and inquiries on all village functions and activities. Additionally, will monitor, edit, and post social media content. Will monitor and respond to incoming texts messages. Assignments may include special tasks which call upon specialized abilities and knowledge possessed by the employee. Work assignments are general, and specific instructions are reviewed by a supervisor who reviews work methods and results through personal observations, discussions, computer systems and tape recorded conversations.
The position typically involves regular and irregular shift work, day off rotations necessary to provide coverage 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Work shifts are normally 4 hours in duration, but may be extended in the event of an emergency, disaster, personnel shortage, workload, or work-in-progress.
To succeed in this role applicants will need to be customer focused, dedicated, and demonstrates self-awareness. We are looking to add a team member capable of effectively and clearly communicating to a full range of people inside and outside the organization. Additionally, the candidate shall have the capacity to understand and be sensitive to the feelings of others, while prioritizing requests and responsibilities with accurateness.
1. Answer inbound calls in a high volume call center environment from residents, businesses, and visitors providing answers and information on a wide variety of village functions, services, and operations.
2. Use various computer, phone, and information systems to research answers to caller questions.
3. Accurately determine the appropriate response to each call to include creating support tickets, providing information, or transferring to other village departments.
4. Create and enter electronic customer service requests for callers as well as monitor and route those submitted through the village website.
5. Triage inbound calls to determine the request is an emergency. Transfer emergency calls to emergency dispatch as need quickly and accurately.
6. Monitor incoming inquires on the village’s text line.
7. Monitor and edit all emergency social media postings as directed by Public Works and Police Department supervisors.
8. Remain current on the village’s staffing, activities, policies, and services
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
Assist in training new representatives on departmental functions and operations as directed by the supervisor. Accurately convey specialized job assignment expertise and provide assistance to department members, when appropriate.
1. Education equivalent to a high school diploma.
2. A minimum of one year experience in an office setting with customer service and heavy phone usage.
3. Typing skills, minimum of 25 words per minute on a computer keyboard.
4. Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and customer service systems preferred.
Legible handwriting. Function effectively in emergency stress situations in a courteous and professional manner. Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. This position works in a typical office setting.
2. Prolonged periods of concentration, proofreading, and extensive computer work.
3. Ability to cope with numerous interruptions.
4. Wear a headset for a minimum of four hours.
Part-Time employees are not eligible for benefits.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen.
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER