Keeping Washington Clean and Evergreen
The Department of Ecology’s priority during the Covid-19 health crisis is to keep our staff, candidates, and the public safe. We are still hiring and encourage you to apply to open positions. The majority of our staff are currently working from home; we have transitioned to a virtual recruitment process, to include web-based interviews.
We are proud to protect, preserve, and enhance Washington’s environment for current and future generations. We are a culture that is invested in making a difference. If you want to join a team that is highly effective, collaborative, has leadership that embraces the value of people, and believes in the fun factor, Ecology is a good fit.
The Information Technology Services Office (ITSO) is currently looking to fill an IT Project Management, IT Senior Manager position. This position is located in our Headquarters Building in Lacey, WA.
The Enterprise Portfolio Management & Architecture Section Manager position reports to Ecology’s Chief Information Officer (CIO) in the Information Technology Services Office (ITSO).
The ITSO Enterprise Portfolio Management & Architecture (EPMA) Section provides expert-level consulting and leadership in the areas of enterprise portfolio, business analysis, project management, and IT architectural services.
The Enterprise Portfolio and Project Management Team is responsible for enterprise portfolio management, as well as planning and managing all Agency-wide IT projects, which are often highly complex, multi-million dollar projects. The team is responsible for providing leadership and management of the Agency’s portfolio of over 200 applications as well as Commercial Off the Shelf (COTS) applications and infrastructure investments. The team provides guidance and consulting on IT projects implemented within the environmental programs, to include monitoring the implementation of the projects to ensure adherence to Office of Chief Information Officer (OCIO) portfolio management requirements. These projects include both software development projects, and infrastructure and operations projects.
The Enterprise Architecture Team, in coordination with the Ecology Chief Information Officer (CIO), the ITSO Management team, and subject matter experts across the Ecology business areas, builds the strategy for our current and future IT architecture. The architects are responsible for establishing and managing Agency best practices, standards, and strategy roadmaps across various technology disciplines including but not limited to application development, data integration and reporting, database and application security, content management, enterprise search, shared services, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), accessibility, usability and user interface design, and SharePoint. The team’s role is primarily strategic in nature. The team members engage with both business and IT staff in the Agency to institutionalize and adopt standard technology and practices that are sustainable and consistent with industry best practices, and state and national strategic direction.
As an agency, our mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington’s environment for current and future generations. We invest in our employees to create and sustain a working environment that encourages creative leadership, effective resource management, teamwork, professionalism and accountability.
Local efforts… Diverse people… Statewide impacts
The mission of the Department of Ecology is to protect, preserve, and enhance Washington’s environment for current and future generations.
The Information Technology Services Office (ITSO) is the central provider of strategic and tactical support for the use of Information Technology (IT) within Ecology. The mission of ITSO is to create and support useful technology services that adapt for the future and support Ecology’s environmental mission.
Some of the key objectives of the Enterprise Portfolio Management & Architecture Section Manager position are:
- Executive management responsibility leading, directing, and encouraging employee engagement.
- Leads well-articulated and informed meetings through professional communication, engages in meaningful discussions to manage technology service delivery and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Using business and technical knowledge, this position continually evolves the agency’s IT architecture program and services to meet changing business conditions.
- Perform agency level and program level coordination.
- Direct, control, and manage the strategy, staff, and business outcomes of the Section.
- Consults and advises agency business stakeholders and executive management on strategic architectural, portfolio, and enterprise project needs.
- Perform agency and program level project and operational maintenance coordination.
- Services as a member of the ITSO Leadership Team providing strategic and tactical planning input.
- Works with the CIO on special projects.
- Conducts presentations.
- May serve as principal IT officer in the CIO’s absence.
This recruitment will remain open until filled. The initial screening will be April 21, 2021. In order to be considered for the initial screening, please submit an application on or before April 20, 2021. The agency reserves the right to make an appointment any time after the initial screening date.
A Bachelor’s degree in an Information Technology program, Project Management, Computer Science or closely related field; AND seven (7) years of professional experience in one or more of the following IT disciplines: consultation, systems development, systems analysis, database management, technical support troubleshooting, project management, or server management. Must have at least two (2) years of supervisory experience over IT professionals, which may be attained concurrently.
An Associate’s degree or higher in an Information Technology program, Computer Science, Project Management or a closely related field; AND nine (9) years of professional experience in one or more of the following IT disciplines: consultation, systems development, systems analysis, database management, technical support troubleshooting, project management, or server management. Must have at least two (2) years of supervisory experience over IT professionals, which may be attained concurrently.
11 years of professional experience in one or more of the following IT disciplines: consultation, systems development, systems analysis, database management, technical support troubleshooting, project management, or server management. Must have at least two (2) years of supervisory experience over IT professionals, which may be attained concurrently.
We highly encourage you to apply even if you do not have some (or all) of the desired experience below.
- Four years of Project Portfolio Management (PPM) experience managing a large multi program/division enterprise portfolio.
- Certification as a Portfolio Management Professional (PfMP) or Project Management Professional (PMP) through the Project Management Institute (PMI).
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Foundation Certification.
- Strategic planning experience.
- Knowledge and experience in Industry Architecture Frameworks and Methodologies. Knowledge and experience across breadth of IT technologies (desktop, middleware, server, cloud, data and information, development, etc.) Experience with Enterprise Architecture.
- Experience developing, recommending, and maintaining technology policies, standards, best practices for an organization, including facilitation of diverse stakeholder groups.
- Knowledge/experience in open industry standards bodies, processes.
- Knowledge of environmental and permitting business areas.
- Understanding of integration of geographic information technologies within business applications.
Note: Having some (or all) of this desired experience may make your application more competitive in a highly competitive applicant pool.
Why work for Ecology?
Joining Ecology means becoming a part of a team committed to protecting and restoring Washington State’s environment.
A career in public service allows you to help solve some of the most challenging problems facing our state, while keeping the health and financial security of you and your family a priority. We combine one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation with a strong commitment to work/life balance.
Ecology employees may be eligible for the following:
Medical/Dental/Vision for employee & dependent(s), Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), Vacation, Sick, and other Leave*, 11 Paid Holidays per year*, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, Tuition Waiver, Long Term Disability & Life Insurance, Deferred Compensation Programs, Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP), Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA), Employee Assistance Program, Commute Trip Reduction Incentives (Download PDF reader), Combined Fund Drive, SmartHealth
Student debt and how working for Ecology can help
Employees may be eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program, which forgives the remaining balance on your Direct Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. See https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more details.
Please complete the short on-line application, supplemental questions and upload:
- A cover letter that clearly states why you are interested in the position, as well as demonstrates how your work experience, interests, analytical and soft skills fit the position.
- A written document you authored that demonstrates your proficiency in strategic planning, project or portfolio management and writing.
- Three professional references.
When attaching documents to your application (Resume, Cover Letter, Transcripts, DD-214, etc.):
- Please be sure to remove private information such as your social security number, date of birth, etc.
- Do not attach documents that are password protected as these documents may not be reviewed and may cause errors within your application when downloaded.
Please to do NOT include your salary history. Wage/salary depends on qualifications or rules of promotion, if applicable.
It is in the candidate’s best interest to submit all of the documents requested above. Applications without these documents may be declined.
Department of Ecology employees, please make sure to answer the agency-wide questions regarding permanent status as a classified employee within the Washington General Service or Washington Management Service. Do not forget to select Department of Ecology as a response to question 2, and type your personnel ID number for question 3. If you are not sure of your status or do not know your personnel ID number, please contact Human Resources.
If you are reading this announcement in print format, please visit www.careers.wa.gov to access the online recruitment system. Click on “Look for Jobs” and select Dept. of Ecology under the “Department” search list. Click “Apply Search.”
If you need assistance applying for this job, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not send an email to this address to follow-up the status of your application. You can view the latest status of your application on your profile’s main page.
If you have specific questions about the position, please email Cristie Fredrickson at: email@example.com. Please do not contact Cristie to inquire about the status of your application.
The act of submitting application materials electronically is considered affirmation that the information is complete and truthful. The state may verify this information and any untruthful or misleading answers are cause for rejection of your application or dismissal if employed.
This recruitment may be used to fill other positions of the same job classification across the agency. Once all the position(s) from the recruitment announcement are filled, the recruitment may only be used to fill additional open positions for the next sixty (60) days.
The Washington State Department of Ecology is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, veterans, military spouses or people with military status, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application/testing process or this job announcement in an alternative format may call (360) 407-6186. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.