Per Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14.2 (Download PDF reader), Washington State employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 Vaccination as part of the hire process, prior to their start date. Requests for medical and religious exemptions will be considered. If you have questions, please contact Careers@ecy.wa.gov with “COVID-19 Vaccination” in the subject line.
Keeping Washington Clean and Evergreen
The Environmental Assessment Program (EAP) program within the Department of Ecology is looking to fill a Secretary Senior position. This position is located in Manchester Environmental Laboratory in Port Orchard, WA. Please note, this is a part-time position, 24 hours per week. You will work 6 – 8 hours each day between the hours of 8am – 5pm. There is some scheduling flexibility within those parameters. This position is eligible for benefits.
In this role, you will provide administrative support to the Laboratory Director and approximately 25 laboratory staff. Support includes: records management, laboratory purchases, public information requests, reports, letters, memos, minutes, manuals and procedures, front desk reception, and interacting with staff, clients, vendors, and visitors.
The Environmental Assessment Program provides a range of scientific, monitoring, laboratory, and quality assurance services. Its mission is to measure, assess, and communicate environmental conditions in Washington State.
The Manchester Environmental Laboratory (MEL) is the leading environmental laboratory for the State of Washington. We conduct environmental laboratory analyses on samples collected throughout Washington State for organic, inorganic, and microbiological contaminants. The laboratory also conducts analyses for toxics in children’s and consumer products.
Protecting Washington State’s environment for current and future generations is what we do every day at Ecology. We are a culture that is invested in making a difference. Join a team that is highly effective and collaborative, with leadership that embrace the value of people.
Ecology cares deeply about employee wellness; we go beyond traditional benefits, proudly offering:
- A healthy life/work balance by offering flexible schedules and telework options for most positions.
- An Infants at Work Program that is based on the long-term health values of infant-parent bonding and breastfeeding newborns.
- Continuous growth and development opportunities.
- A wellness program that offers education, fitness classes, and an agency-wide fondness for outdoor meetings.
- Opportunities to serve your community and make an impact through meaningful work.
Diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect (DEIR) are core values central to Ecology’s work. We strive to be a workplace where we are esteemed for sharing our authentic identities, while advancing our individual professional goals and collaborating to protect, preserve, and enhance the environment for current and future generations.
Diversity: We celebrate and appreciate diversity; our unique perspectives and abilities enrich us all and lead to innovative approaches and solutions.
Equity: We champion equity, recognizing that each of us need different things to thrive.
Inclusion: We intentionally create and hold space so that we all have meaningful opportunities to participate and contribute to Ecology’s work.
Respect: We treat each other with respect and dignity, acknowledging the inherent worth of our diverse perspectives and lived experiences, even in times of uncertainty and disagreement.
We believe that DEIR is both a goal and an action. We are on a journey, honoring our shared humanity and taking steps to demonstrate our commitment to a vision where each of us is heard, seen, and valued.
During Healthy Washington Roadmap to Recovery, employees are working a combination of in-office and/or telework based on position and business need. This position is expected to work in the office up to 3 – 4 days a week. Ecology is following current state guidance regarding building occupancy, mask requirements, health screening questions before entry, and social distancing.
What makes this role unique?
In this role, you will coordinate office operations with Environmental Protection Agency Staff, transcribe meeting minutes, and screen calls and visitors. You will perform complex secretarial assignments as a member of the Environmental Assessment Program Administrative Support Team, and will handle confidential and sensitive materials.
What you will do:
- Perform administrative duties as designated by the Manchester Environmental Laboratory Director. Support the laboratory director and laboratory staff in formulating signature ready letters and memoranda styled in accordance with Agency, Program, and Section policy.
- Support the Quality Assurance Coordinator with updates to Standard Operating Procedures; format documents and create workflows.
- Attend meetings, transcribe and distribute meeting minutes.
- Greet clients and visitors.
- Coordinate sending time sensitive paperwork for laboratory director and unit supervisors to Ecology’s headquarters office.
- Maintain the laboratory’s SharePoint site. Review documents and correct for completeness, form, clarification and conformance to policy and rules.
- Manage the laboratory’s records and public information.
- Order laboratory materials, supplies, parts and equipment. Research new sources of supply, locate and contact vendors and suppliers.
Experience for both required and desired qualifications can be gained through various combinations of formal professional employment, educational, and volunteer experience. See below for how you may qualify.
A High school diploma or equivalent AND Two years of increasingly responsible office experience requiring keyboarding or typing.
Special Requirements/Conditions of Employment:
Must successfully pass the initial ePASS background check and any required subsequent checks which are required for access to the federal facility that houses the Ecology laboratory.
We highly encourage you to apply even if you do not have some (or all) of the desired experience below.
- An Associate of Arts Degree.
- One year of previous purchasing experience.
- Three years of progressive experience in office/clerical/general administrative work in a Microsoft Office environment.
Note: Having some (or all) of this desired experience may make your application more competitive in a highly competitive applicant pool.
Ecology seeks diverse applicants: We view diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect through a broad lens including race, ethnicity, class, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, immigration status, military background, language, education, life experience, physical disability, neurodiversity, and intersectional identities. Qualified candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Need an Accommodation in the application and/or screening process or this job announcement in an alternative format?
- Please call: (360) 407-6186 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist.
- If you are deaf or hard of hearing you can reach the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please e-mail email@example.com. Please do not send an email to this address to follow-up the status of your application. You can view the latest status of your application on your profile’s main page.
- If you are reading this announcement in print format, please enter the following URL to your search engine to apply: https://ecology.wa.gov/About-us/Get-to-know-us/Jobs-at-Ecology.
It’s in the applicant’s best interest to submit all of the documents listed below. Applications without these documents may be declined.
- A cover letter describing why you are interested in this position.
- A resume outlining your experience and education (if applicable) as it relates to the minimum qualifications of this position.
- Three professional references.
Please do NOT include your salary history. Wage/salary depends on qualifications or rules of promotion, if applicable.
For Your Privacy:
When attaching documents to your application (Resume, Cover Letter, Transcripts, DD-214, etc.):
- Please be sure to remove private information such as your social security number, date of birth, etc.
- Do not attach documents that are password protected, as these documents may not be reviewed and may cause errors within your application when downloaded.
Additional Application Instructions for Current Ecology Employees:
Please make sure to answer the agency-wide questions regarding permanent status as a classified employee within the Washington General Service or Washington Management Service. Do not forget to select Department of Ecology as a response to question 2, and type your personnel ID number for question 3. If you are not sure of your status or do not know your personnel ID number, please contact Human Resources.
The act of submitting application materials electronically is considered affirmation that the information is complete and truthful. The state may verify this information and any untruthful or misleading answers are cause for rejection of your application or dismissal if employed.
If you have specific questions about the position, please email Alan Rue at: Alan.Rue@ecy.wa.gov. Please do not contact Alan to inquire about the status of your application.
To request the full position description: email firstname.lastname@example.org
Why work for Ecology?
As an agency, our mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington’s environment for current and future generations. We invest in our employees to create and sustain a working environment that encourages creative leadership, effective resource management, teamwork, professionalism and accountability.
Joining Ecology means becoming a part of a team committed to protecting and restoring Washington State’s environment. A career in public service allows you to help solve some of the most challenging problems facing our state, while keeping your health and financial security a priority. We combine one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation with a strong commitment to life/work balance.
Ecology employees may be eligible for the following:
Medical/Dental/Vision for employee & dependent(s), Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), Vacation, Sick, and other Leave*, 11 Paid Holidays per year*, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, Tuition Waiver, Long Term Disability & Life Insurance, Deferred Compensation Programs, Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP), Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA), Employee Assistance Program, Commute Trip Reduction Incentives (Download PDF reader), Combined Fund Drive, SmartHealth *See the Benefits tab in this announcement for more information
Student debt: how working for Ecology can help
The Department of Ecology is a qualifying employer for the Public Service Forgiveness Program (PSLF). See https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more details.
Collective Bargaining: This is a position covered by a bargaining unit for which the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) is the exclusive representative.
Equal Opportunity Employer: The Washington State Department of Ecology is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, veterans, military spouses or people with military status, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application/testing process or this job announcement in an alternative format may call (360) 407-6186. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Note: This recruitment may be used to fill other positions of the same job classification across the agency. Once all the position(s) from the recruitment announcement are filled, the recruitment may only be used to fill additional open positions for the next sixty (60) days.