Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world’s longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world’s widest tunneling project. Your work as the Traffic Design Project Engineer will contribute to the
WSDOT is currently seeking a licensed Professional Engineer with expert technical background in traffic design to join the Northwest Region (NWR) Traffic Engineering Team. This critical position is responsible for planning, scoping, estimating, designing, and acting as a construction liaison for Traffic related items such as illumination, traffic signals, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and highway signing on both design-bid-build and design-build roadside, ferries and local agency projects.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Traffic Design Project Engineer will:
- Oversee traffic design elements of projects on state highways in Northwest Region.
- Ensures deliverables are on time, within scope and budget, and in compliance with design standards and state and federal regulations.
- Ensures Traffic Design deliverables are designed in compliance with department directives, state and federal regulations and professional standards.
- Oversee workforce and project expenditures on all Traffic Design Projects to ensure efficient and responsible expenditure of funds.
- Provides oversight on regional traffic design input on regional planning and scoping program development.
- Develops and establishes statewide and regional traffic policies by participating on policy committees and guidance teams.
- Represents WSDOT as the principal contact on matters pertaining to traffic design within the Region and for local agency and developer projects.
- Initiate internal and external partnerships and influence areas outside of the direct control of this position to meet the goals and objectives of WSDOT and outside agencies.
- Leads and manage a team of up to 11 employees.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Bachelor’s of Science in Civil Engineering or similar degree.
- Professional Civil Engineers License, State of Washington. (License holders from other states will be expected to obtain a WA State PE license within six months of appointment).
- Significant experience in traffic engineering and traffic design with a minimum of 5 years practical traffic design experience, and 2-3 of those years spent supervising a traffic design team.
- Knowledge of the following:
- Traffic engineering principals, practices, policies and regulations in the area of traffic design.
- Current national and state standards and guidelines in traffic engineering, design, application of the MUTCD, specific WACs and RCWs, and traffic engineering related chapters of the WSDOT Design Manual.
- Project and budget management.
- WSDOT practices and policies.
- Transit, ADA, bicycle, and pedestrian related highway design & operation practices.
- Environmental regulation and documentation: federal and state environmental processes and regulatory requirements for impacts related to Traffic projects.