WSDOT Mount Vernon engineering office is seeking a Transportation Engineer 2 to perform construction inspection, contract administration, and lead designer work. Duties include inspecting work of contractors and reviewing project designs to ensure compliance with WSDOT standards. This position is critical to the delivery of the fish program and preservation programs. This is an exciting opportunity for a self-starter that enjoys a variety of engineering work while working in the office or in the field.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Transportation Engineer 2 will:
- Inspect construction activities to ensure compliance with contract documents, permits, laws and regulations.
- Document construction activities in Inspection Daily Report and through photos.
- Notify the appropriate parties to communicate road closures.
- Coordinate with internal staff and construction administration to ensure proper materials testing and documentation requirements are followed.
- Prepare change orders, update as-builts plans and coordinate with local agencies on applicable regulations/permits.
- Participate in the preparation of pre-estimates and monthly progress estimates, and independent cost estimates.
- Calculate and provide justification for project costs.
- Prepare and/or review project definitions, design files, hydraulic reports, access reports, environmental documents, design estimates, right of way plans, contract plans, specifications, and estimates.
- Perform survey lead duties, including, verify the accuracy, completeness, and quality of field survey data on all phases of design and construction projects assigned; and for the efficient and safe function of a survey crew of up to four people.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- One year of experience as a Transportation Engineer 1 or Transportation Technician 3, or equivalent experience.
- Possess a valid Washington State driver’s license.
- Able and willing to traverse uneven terrain, climb ladders, move up to 30 lbs. material with or without a reasonable accommodation.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Two years of experience as a Transportation Engineer 1 or Transportation Technician 3, or equivalent.
- Proficient using the following software programs: e Materials Tracking Program (MTP), Material Testing System (MATS), and Statistical Analysis of Materials (SAM). Assists with contract payments and estimates using mainframe applications (CCIS and CAPS).
- In-depth understanding of the design and documentation process.
- In-depth knowledge of contract documents and how they relate to contract administration.
- Proficiency with computer software including Microsoft Office, Micro-Station, EBASE, ProjectWise, and InRoads.